As society has progressed, so has our attitude about masturbation. No longer a dirty, little secret, we have come (no pun intended) to embrace the benefits of this act of self-love. Clinical studies show that masturbation is good for you physically, emotionally and, of course, sexually. And really, it just feels good and makes us happy! So if you have yet to allow yourself to fully experience the art of self-pleasure, here are some reasons why you should:
- Stress reduction. What better way to unwind after a hectic day at work?
- Sleep enhancer. Many people who suffer from insomnia also complain about the side effects of over-the-counter and prescription sleep aids. Masturbation has no adverse side effects and will not leave you feeling groggy in the morning.
- Relief from menstrual cramps. While menstruation may not make you feel very sexy, self-pleasuring yourself may help eliminate cramps.
- Self-discovery. Many women who have never reached orgasm learn how through the practice of masturbation. In addition, women who have never experienced multiple orgasms also learn how through self-pleasure.
- Enhances self-esteem. An intimate relationship with your body can translate into sexual confidence, which in turn gives you an overall sense of well-being and joy. When you’re comfortable satisfying yourself physically, you’ll feel comfortable about satisfying yourself mentally and emotionally and find it easy to provide yourself with the positive affirmations you need to maintain your happiness and reach your goals.
3 Tips for Solo Play
- Use a toy. Most women find it easier and quicker to reach an orgasm when a vibrator or dildo is involved. And if you enjoy masturbating in the shower or while soaking in the tub, remember that Passion Parties offers a multitude of water resistant toys.
- Use lube. A lubricant is especially important if you’re tired or have had a stressful day. Fatigue, age and stress are all factors that can have an adverse effect on natural lubrication. So take it easy on yourself and use a lubricant such as Silicone Lubricant from the RomantaTherapy® line.
- Use your imagination. Masturbation is your “me time.” Allow your mind (and body) to be swept away by a tale of romance and passion. Whether fantasizing about your favorite celebrity or the sexy neighbor down the street, go ahead and let your imagination run wild. Even if you’re in a committed relationship, it’s okay to think about someone else when masturbating. Dr. Joyce Brothers agrees, telling the online daily news website SeattlePI.com, “It might relieve some of your guilt to know that many happily married individuals who have no thought or intention of ever betraying their spouse have sexual fantasies about someone other than their spouse.”